Trusting God with Your Outside-the-Box Kids with Sally Clarkson :: ITA119
Author Sally Clarkson shares her journey with her outside-the-box son Nathan, and how God is able to do miracles we can’t even imagine when we trust His voice instead of the loud voices of the world.
From his early childhood, Sally Clarkson’s son Nathan was bursting with creativity and uncontainable energy, struggling not only with learning issues but also with anxiety and OCD. He saw the world through his own unique lens―one that often caused him to be labeled as “bad,” “troubled,” or someone in need of “fixing.”
Sally dared to believe that Nathan’s differences could be part of an intentional design from a loving Creator with a plan for his life. She trusted that the things that made him different were the very things that could make him great.
“It’s so hard because you don’t know what’s going to happen next when you child falls apart or screams or acts out or argues every night at the dinner table,” Clarkson said. “I was relentlessly committed to understanding scripturally that this is the place where God wanted to bring redemption and light and beauty.”
In This Episode You'll Hear...
- Encouragement, insights and practical advice for your own journey with an outside-the-box child
- How training, affirmation and God’s perspective can turn your children’s weaknesses into their own unique superhero strengths
- Why we need to practice mercy and kindness in our parenting.
Sally’s LAUNCH Acronym for Nathan:
L- Love him with the love of God.
A- Affirming him daily and believing in who he would become.
U- Understanding his limitations and learning to be patient with his disabilities
N- Never passing on guilt to him for being limited. Guilt is not a motivator in a healthy child
C- Changing his heart gradually through training, character, and inner strength.
H- Holding expectations loosely and leaving him in the hands of God.
“It is the kindness and mercy of God that leads to repentance.”
Eliminate the Overwhelm of Meal Planning
Get your free 30 day trial at PlanToEat.com.
- THE BOOK: Different: The Story of an Out-of-the-Box Kid and the Mom Who Loved Him
- THE BIBLE STUDY: A Different Kind of Hero: A Guided Journey through the Bible’s Misfits
- Love the song in the outro? It's called God Day. It's by Jen Stanbro and you can get it on iTunes by clicking here and check out Jen's site by clicking here.
- HelloMornings New Beginnings on Amazon
Connect with Sally
Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
How to Listen to This Podcast
Subscribe to the podcast in iTunes or Stitcher and get the latest episodes as soon as they are available. If you're new to podcasts, click here learn more about them!
Click the play button in the post or grab your favorite podcast app and join us for a chat!